Elementary school teachers are primarily saddled with the responsibility of imparting knowledge in foundational and principal subjects on young children. These children are most often between the ages of 5 to 11. Being an elementary school teacher usually entails educating kids from kindergarten through fifth grade in such core subjects as basic Mathematics and English language as well as introductory science and arts. However, it is important to note that the range of grades associated with elementary schooling varies from place to place. In some instances, it is reckoned to be up to the eighth grade. Elementary school teachers train and instruct children from immediately after preschool up to the commencement of middle school using approved syllabuses and curricula.
Elementary School Teacher Job Duties:
- Instructs and teaches children usually between kindergarten and fifth (but sometimes up to eighth) grade in fundamental subjects.
- Grades and records academic performances of elementary school students.
- Monitors elementary school students’ overall physical development and social conduct, and makes appropriate recommendations as deemed fit.
- Designs models and materials to aid teaching elementary school students.
- Creates an enabling atmosphere wherein the elementary school students can learn gainfully and in a conducive manner.
- Determines the most beneficial approach to deliver the objectives of the approved curriculum.
- Maintains discipline and orderliness amongst the students using appropriate measures and constructive procedures.
- Encourages the elementary school students to be of good character and exhibit moral values that are necessary to be responsible citizens in the society.
- Primary School Teacher
- Grade School Teacher
- Elementary Teacher
The job outlook for elementary school teachers is very high. This is by virtue of the fact that the population of children being enrolled in schools has steadily been on the increase. The demand for elementary school teachers is consequently on the increase.
Elementary School Teacher Skills and Qualifications
- Creativity and inventiveness
- Attentiveness to detail
- Organizational skills
- Good communication and information dissemination skills
- Patience, steadfastness and perseverance
- Knowledge and ability to interpret and break down complex subject matter into simpler and more easily understood concepts
- Motivational and inspirational attributes
- Sound judgment
- Relevant academic certification and prowess
These vary from place to place as stipulated by the applicable legislative provisions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics however, the average salary for an elementary school teacher is given as $59,270 (May 2016).
Education and Training
Although these may slightly vary from state to state, it is mandatory that an elementary school teacher possesses at least a bachelor’s degree, as well as a license issued by the state to certify that the individual has the appropriate requirements and attributes to teach in an elementary school.
As with most disciplines, further academic knowledge such as acquisition of postgraduate degrees is always an added advantage.