Writing a proper resume needs a little guidance if you are hunting for a new job. Employers usually do not read if resume is not well written and organized. So, it is better to follow few resume examples and make your own resume templates. Resume-free.com provides free resume samples online and free resume templates for new and experienced job seeker. All CV examples or resume examples in this website are free to download and you just edit to make your own resume. Here are few guidelines you can follow to make your resume more professional:
Read Job Description
When you prepare your resume to submit for a new job, read the detail job description and put as much keyword as matches with your skill set. Employer receives hundreds of resumes per job post and usually pick those resumes matches most with the job description. So, it does not matter how qualified candidate you are if your resume is not picked with the keyword search.
It is crucial to show your experienced in a way that you are qualified to perform this job. Most employer look for candidate who has hands on experience instead what he knows. So, try to avoid “I have knowledge in this job”, “I can do this job” and write “I have performed this job”, “I have done this job” instead.
Make your resume nice and clean with clear job accomplishment. Do not put too much information or write whole paragraph what you have done in your previous job or in the class. Write each accomplishment in a shot sentence in bullet points under each job you have performed. Try to avoid, “we have done this project”, “the company have used this tool” and write “I have done this project”, “I have used this tool” instead.
If you are a new college graduate and less experienced, try to shows your education at the top of the resume. Some employer might consider you if you are highly educated and has less industry experience. If you have more industry experience, put education at the bottom of your resume and show your experience first.
Here is a sample resume for a new college graduate:
John C. Smith
1234 1st Street, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Phone: 925-222-0049, Email: email@example.com
Objective: To obtain a Civil Engineering position
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering December 2011
University California Los Angeles
Civil Engineering Intern
Palm Consultants Inc. Los Angeles, CA 04/2012 – Present
- Checking and observing of all structural Engineering Design and Requirement
- Inspecting Building and other Construction work
- Testing Construction material (Steel, Concrete, Mortar and Grout)
- Testing soil properties (Proctor, AL, Soil and Penetration Test)
- Using New clear density gage
- Checking pavements Design and its requirement specially rebar, thickness and concrete
- Checking Post tensioning.
University California Los Angeles 08/2011 – 12/2011
- Pre-stressed (Bonded and Un bonded) Column Project for Earthquake Resistance
- Three Column Bent Project
- Compression Test of Cylindrical Concrete Specimens
- Collected data to measure strength and stress of pre-stress concrete column
- Helped PhD students to operate mechanical and electrical tools in the lab
- Helped research students on them researches and computer work.
- Programming language: C, Fortran, Visual Fortran, Mat Lab, MathCAD
- CAD package: Solid Works, Pro/Engineer, Auto CAD (2D and 3D)
- Interface: Computer networking and data communication
- Graphics Design & animation: Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, ACDSee
- Operating System: Windows, Linux, and Mac
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Power point, Visio, Publisher), Latex
- Special Software: EPNET, TRAFIX, Synchro, SimTrafic, Revit, SAP, HEC-RAS, OPILE
PROJECTS DONE AT UNDERGRADUATE:
- Pump Design and Cost Analysis
- Fast Food Restaurant Development (Trip Generation and Trip Distribution)
- Residential and Commercial Land Development Project
- Multicar Garage Design (Structural Designing and Cost Analysis)
- South East Connector Civil Engineering Development Project.
- Dean’s list award 2010, College of Engineering, UCLA
- UCLA Merit List Scholarship
- Available upon request