A resume is an essential document that summaries your work experience, education, skills and achievements for a potential employer. In order to assess your suitability for a job, a resume is what is considered first. Therefore one has to take precaution when writing one. It should have personal details; by this we mean your official names, phone number and email address. Depending on that which you have recently achieved; place your work experience or education.
Furthermore it’s of great importance that you include skills that are relevant to the position you have applied for. In this case a legal assistant position, it requires you to have records management skills, client relations skills to mention a few.
And finally include at least one or two references that shall support your resume, this will give you credibility before your potential employer. A reference can be your former lecturer at university, former supervisor or manager; as long as you have sought their permission before listing their contact information. Stating the availability of references on request is also allowed.
Below is a sample resume for a legal assistant position, you may use for your guidance.
Derek C. Rode
1234 Brown Street, Des Moines, IA 48120
Phone: 925-947-0048, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An efficient and resourceful legal Assistant who is seeking an opportunity to showcase and develop her skills in a reputable organization.
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and efficient
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Proven leadership skills and ability to motivate
- Legal Assistant – Lex Advocates (January 2015- Present)
- Carry out Legal Research
- Maintain office records, order supplies and process mails.
- Prepare, edit and proofread legal documents.
- Answer telephones, set up appointments, and interview clients for case intake
- Schedule meetings with clients and ensuring open lines of communication
- Bachelor of Paralegal Studies (2010 – 2014)
- Brown College
- Munn Avenue, Midland California
- Secretary, Association of Paralegal Students (2012 – 2013)
- National Association of Legal Assistants (Member 2016- Present)
- Available upon request